Friday, March 9, 2012

Who Will Hold You?

It's been some time since I posted on my blog. There has been so much going on.

My husband was in the hospital with a bacterial infection. Thankfully, it was quickly taken care of with antibiotic & he was back home by the 4th day. He is now quite tired. A few times a week he ventures to the store nearby to meet with his "coffee club". His pill chemo had been decreased because of his weakness. When he was admitted to the hospital, it was completely stopped. On Monday the oncologist talked with us and said for quality of life he felt it best not to resume the pill chemo. We now have Hospice coming in once a week. In addition to a Hospice nurse that visited, a Hospice social worker also came. We expressed our faith to her and learned that she, too, is a Christian. My husband was able to talk to her about his faith and reliance on God. How thankful we are that someone is coming who understands and is a sister in Christ. God does supply our needs.

As the doctor has told us we could expect "weeks to a handful of months", we find that emotions are running high. Reaching this point has brought the realization that time with my husband is truly short. It has also brought that realization to our children and grandchildren. I find that tears flow quite easily and quite often.

Our church family and friends, as always, are being very supportive. We discussed with the Hospice social worker that we wondered how people with no relationship with God made it through these times. My husband brought up the poem, Footprints, and how when there was only one set of prints it was when Jesus was carrying us. You can believe me, He is carrying us right now! Without His strength, we could not make this journey gracefully. There are times that I feel His arms holding me up, when I just want to crumble to the floor.

Friends, if you don't have that relationship with Him, who will hold you up when this time comes to you? Some people say that Christians are weak & just need a crutch. OK. I will go along with that. I am weak & I need Christ to lean on. And Praise Him, He is there! So you critics of Christianity, are you really so strong that you can walk this road, this valley of the shadow of death, totally on your own? Your human friends and family can only go so far with you. Then you will have to cross the veil alone, to face what is on the other side. I am so thankful when my husband crosses that veil, he will not be alone, for Christ has promised him, as a believer, to never leave nor forsake him. And when he reaches the other side, he will experience total healing. That is my comfort.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mrs. Shirley, we are praying for you and Bro. Al right now! We love you and are so sorry you are having to walk through this but also are thankful you are trusting Christ to see you through. What a testimony for HIM! When Squire Parsons was at our church he sang a song he wrote about his battle with lukemia. We got the cd so we could send you that song. I'm going to try to send it to you today. Hugs from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luv u and Mr. Al soooo much! We pray for u both DAILY, many times a day even! U both have touched our hearts in a tremendous way. I can see Christ shining thru u! I luv ur writings, they are beautifully done...... My heart breaks for u, but oh how wonderful it is to know we will all rejoice together again in Heaven with our Father! I luv u!!!

    ReplyDelete