Thursday, March 17, 2011

Words That Will Bless

Not my words, although I would like to think that God uses my words to bless someone else. I'm referring to an old hymn. If you have seen My Favorite Songs list, you've seen the first one is Come Thou Fount (of Every Blessing). This is a beautiful old hymn, and I do mean old. It was written in 1758 in Norfolk, England by a 23 year old preacher  (although some sources give the date of 1757 and his age as 22). His name was Robert Robinson. He wrote the song to use with his sermon on Pentecost Sunday. It has blessed hearts for over 250 years. I love the melody written by John Wyeth, although I prefer it slower than it's 3/4 timing. I like it slower because the words really sink in when it's done that way. Have you ever heard this song? If so, have you taken the time to really read the words? Not only is it poetic in its old English style, it is a song of praise, thanksgiving, and surrender to God. There are many, many beautiful songs echoing throughout the earth in praise to God, but none that can compare with this old hymn. Next time when you are at a church service, providing they have the old hymnals, look up Come Thou Fount, and you will find words that bless.
 You can find many versions on You Tube, but Fernando Ortega does one of the best. He's added some bridges of his own, but the integrity of the song remains.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment