Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Peaceful Place

With all the stress and tension that life seems to produce these days, a peaceful place is a priceless treasure. When I was a teen there was a river about 2 blocks from my house. There was a boat landing there but it was used mostly on Saturdays. So many times I would go there just to sit and think, to let the cares of teen life float away with the twig I tossed into the water. I miss that little place by the river. The boat landing is no longer there.

Last fall, at a neighborhood reunion, I took this picture at a park near our old neighborhood. 

We all long for a place of solitude. I wonder why I haven't been back with my chair and a book. I keep telling myself when I retire, I will. Why do I put off the things that offer me a time when the Lord can speak to me? My days are filled with rushing, my ears filled with the noise of confusion, and all the time this place of quiet rest awaits. I knew when I stood there taking this picture, I was looking at God's Word.

"Fore thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river...." Isaiah 66:12a KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment