Thursday, March 20, 2014

Why Adopt A Rescue Pet?

I have a new family member. She is the sweetest little thing and cute as can be. She is an 8 year old Beagle mix named Luna.
Luna


Just as I did with Marcus, I found her on the Pet Finder web site. She had been rescued by the same humane society that took Marcus in, Colonial Capital. I debated on whether I wanted to adopt another dog. I mean, it's not like I don't have any pets already (O'Malley, O'Connor, and Maximus-cats & Marcus-dog). I felt Marcus needed company when I have to be away from home for a few hours at a time, the cats are getting really tired of Marcus licking their faces, and I knew I have more than enough love to go around. So I began my search. It did not take long. Just as with Marcus, I was drawn to a picture.

What was I looking for? A smaller dog than Marcus. He weighs 54 lbs and is as gentle as can be, but I knew I would never find another dog his size with his temperament. After my fixation on the picture, I checked out the details. Age 8 - hmmm a little older than I expected to adopt but she needs a forever home, too. Spayed - yes. House broken - yes :) . Then the most important information. Good with other dogs - yes. Good with cats - yes. Good with children - yes. I then checked out the past history. Rescued from an animal hoarder. Oh, poor baby.

I filled out an adoption application and it was arranged for me to meet Luna. Her foster parents brought her to my home. She came right in and licked Marcus in the face (now he knows how the cats feel). Great start!! To my delight, the foster parents told me she loves to ride and go walking at Union Point Park! Perfect since Marcus and I do a lot of both. It was not easy for her foster parents to leave her here for they had grown to love her. Within a few hours Luna was at home and stretched out on the couch. Marcus spent the afternoon pouting but that did not last. She has shown no anxiety at all (except today at the vet's office where she sat her 27 trembling pounds on my lap). She is healthy, maybe a little chunky, minds well, needs a little more leash training but we are working on that.

So why adopt a rescue pet? Because we need them as much as they need us. Some have been treated horribly, neglected, or abandoned. My mother use to tell me as a child that I would take every stray that came along if she would let me. She was right. I have always loved dogs and cats. I know some people are "dog people" and some are "cat people". I am both. My son found my oldest cat, O'Malley, in a corn field when he was just a kitten. The others, O'Connor and Maximus (brothers), were feral and I trapped them as kittens. As I posted in August, 2012 after adopting Marcus, he was rescued from the flood waters of Hurricane Irene. So all my animals are rescue pets. They fill my home with unconditional love. Now my little family is complete.

Many people prefer specific breeds and purchase their pets or receive them as gifts and there is nothing wrong with that. For those who may be thinking about a pet, I only ask you to consider a rescue pet. The price of adoption is usually far less than you would pay anywhere else and the money goes to support the animals who have been and will be rescued. It warms your heart when you look at them and know you have given them a better life than they have ever known. It's so worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment