Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Almost Home

Today I had an appointment in a town about one and a half hours drive. After the appointment I started the long drive home. That distance seems to get longer each time I have to drive it. I had my radio tuned to my favorite Christian radio station and I was singing along, but I was weary today.

With most trips there is a midway point or town where you feel you can make the rest of the journey. For me that is a town 22 miles from my home. Today when I reached the center of that little town I spoke aloud and with a sigh of relief, 'Almost home'. After speaking those words I began thinking what they meant. Of course, pertaining to this trip they meant I had reached that point I have just described. These words hold such a deeper meaning. Almost home. As a Christian these words mean that we are very close to heaven. I am not a fatalist. Only God knows when our appointed time is to leave this world. I have no plan to leave tomorrow. I believe God still has much for me to do here. Still, I think of the decline of our society in every respect and do look forward to a home without all the perversion, hate, irreverence for the One True God, disappointments, and weariness.

At church we are finishing a lengthy study on the book of Revelation. If you have read Revelation you understand the statement made so often by Christians, "We know how the Book ends.". Studying the splendor of what awaits the child of God can make you homesick. It is beyond our finite minds to even imagine the marvelous place Christ has prepared for us. That is my home, my true home.

Almost 2 weeks ago a woman jumped from a bridge in my town into the cold river waters below. A gentleman had stopped and tried to talk her down. To his horror, she chose to jump and end her life. Each day the rescue boats go out searching for her. We have had some bad weather lately which has hampered that search. I have been at the docks when these trained rescue personnel return and the heaviness is always evident. It has made me realize how precious life is and yet how frail it is. No doubt this lady had heavy burdens as well as depression. Even though she could not accept it, she was loved by her family and friends. The path we take is ours to choose. The results of our choice will affect the lives of our families, friends, coworkers, and even strangers.

Considering this recent event and also the realization that my destination is secure in the Lord, Almost Home seems quite near. I have reached that point where I know I can make the rest of the journey. Whether it be with my next breath or in many more years, Almost Home beckons. I wait for His call. I do not plan to go ahead of Him, but I wait. I continue to say and believe I am Almost Home.



3 comments:

  1. I KNOW WHAT I BELIEVE, DO NOT CONFUSE ME WITH THE TRUTH-by steve finnell


    Why do so many believe they are smarter than God? If you change the meaning of Scripture you must believe you know more than God.

    Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom. (NASB)

    When pride is the primary attribute of the person searching for God's truth, confusion is the result.

    TRUTH: Mark 16:16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. (NASB)

    PRIDEFUL INTERPRETATION: He who has believed and has not been baptized shall be saved.

    TRUTH: Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; (NASB)

    PRIDEFUL INTERPRETATION: For by grace alone you have been saved and God has imputed faith as a gift to those selected for salvation so they might believe.

    TRUTH: Peter said to them, "Repent and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (NASB)

    PRIDEFUL INTERPRETATION: Repent and be baptized because your sins were forgiven the minute you believed. You received the gift of the Holy Spirit the moment you believed and spoke in tongues. Speaking in tongues was evidence of your salvation.

    TRUTH: Romans 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in the newness of life.(NASB)

    PRIDEFUL INTERPRETATION: Therefore we have been buried with Him by pouring, sprinkling or immersion in water into death. Sprinkling and pouring mean a burial. We were already walking in newness of life because we were saved before water baptism.

    TRUTH: John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way , and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.(NASB)

    PRIDEFUL INTERPRETATION: Jesus said to him, "I am one of many ways to the Father, do not judge other religious beliefs."


    YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I am not sure what your comment is referring to in regards to my post, I chose to publish it because not everyone agrees with me. If they disagree respectfully, I will share their comment. I use the NASB as my study Bible. As you gave no reference for the Prideful Interpretations, I am not sure where these come from. There is only One way to the Father and that is through Jesus Christ. As I have changed no Scripture, nor would I, I am a little confused on the point you are making. Thank you for the invitation to view you blog and I will do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was the thief on the cross promised by Christ to be with Him in paradise that very day, when it was impossible for him to be baptized first? God/Christ cannot lie. Baptism is an outward demonstration of an inward change. It is not a requirement for salvation, but a representation that sin has been buried and new life in Christ has arisen.

      Delete