Thursday, July 2, 2015

America The Compassionate

I once knew a WWII veteran who had strong feelings about the American response to returning Desert Storm veterans. These young men and women of Desert Storm were treated as heroes. Our country made every effort to show them gratitude and respect and not repeat the horrific mistake made by so many when our Vietnam veterans returned home. This man felt, due to the superiority of weaponry of the United States, the men returning were not heroes in comparison to those of WWII. I have to tell you that I was shocked. I would never have imagined a veteran could feel that way about other veterans, regardless of the tremendous improvements in defensive and offensive weaponry. Men and women had died during Desert Storm. Many had permanent injuries, as this WWII veteran had. This man had a grandson who was also a veteran. In my shock I asked, "Let me ask you something. If" your grandson "was one of those veterans returning from Desert Storm, would you feel the same way?" I could tell this question hit him really hard. He hesitated only a moment and then, with a little smile, said "No." Please do not feel that I did not have the utmost respect for this gentleman. He had earned a Purple Heart, Bronze Star, and Silver Star as an Army soldier during combat in France. I not only had respect for him, but great love. I was very proud of him. You see, that man was my father and his grandson, my nephew.

Many Desert Storm veterans, just like some WWII veterans, were not all Americans. There were some who had not yet received their U.S. citizenship, but fought with and as Americans. They are as loved and respected as any other and some were granted U.S. citizenship while still on the foreign field of engagement. Were they any less thought of as American soldiers, marines, sailors, airmen? Their sacrifices were the same. But this post really is not about veterans. I'm not sure I can explain my point sufficiently although I will try. I think my shock with my dad was his feeling that the Desert Storm veterans had not earned the right to be treated with the same respect and appreciation that his generation had. I might add here that my dad's response to the Desert Storm veterans did an about face after that discussion and I have used it here as an example only.

Because of our painful experiences in life, should we not wish something better for anyone who is going through the same thing or should we take an 'it's not fair' approach?  Should we let those experiences make us compassionate for everyone in our position or should we become bitter and resentful that the outcome for others is not the same as ours? Should we wish good things only for our own or for anyone who has suffered as we have? Was salvation offered to the Jew alone or also to the Gentile? Is it our responsibility to share the Gospel with our countrymen alone or also with those of other nations?  If disaster strikes should we extend a helping hand to ours alone or to anyone in need? If it has been made impossible to extend help to our own should we then refuse to help the foreigner? If there are those who are hungry or naked should we ask where they were born before we offer food and clothing? If a child is in need of medical care that we can provide, should we offer it only to our own or also to the child that is not ours?

The United States of America has been and still is the most compassionate nation in the world. We are undergoing some dreadfully dangerous changes that the majority of us did not choose, but we still remain a nation of people with loving and giving hearts. As we prepare to celebrate the establishment of this great nation, let us remember that God has blessed us tremendously. As we look around at our fellow citizens, let us take note that we do not all look and sound the same but we are no less Americans. I am grateful to be born an American. I am proud to be an American. I am thrilled that my three year old grandson will celebrate his first Independence Day as an American. Because of the grace of God and the compassion of his parents, he has this opportunity - to be an American! So I pray that through our difficulties as a nation and as individuals, we will remain America The Compassionate.
                                                 


No comments:

Post a Comment