Friday, November 15, 2013

Adopting Harrison

My son & daughter-in-law are in the process of adopting a little boy from China. We are so very excited! His name will be Harrison. A big name for such a little boy. 

Let me tell you a little about him. Of course, there is a lot about him no one knows. He was abandoned in a train station at the age of approximately 2 weeks. So many of us ask ourselves how a mother could just abandon her child not knowing who might take him. I believe he was and is very much loved by his birth mother. He was born with a condition called ectrodactyly. He has malformations of his hands & feet. I feel his mother was not prepared to care for him, most likely financially. She placed him in a public area where she knew he would be seen and where many law enforcement officers would be present. He was taken to the Child Welfare Center, in other words an orphanage. There he waits for his new parents to come for him. He has just turned 2 years old.

My son is a firefighter with our local fire and rescue department. He also works a second job on his days away from the fire department to help meet their needs. My daughter-in-law has completed law school and has recently started working with another attorney in our small town. Her field of choice is family law. Contrary to what most would believe, her salary is not a substantial one. Like most graduates today, she is paying off  huge student loans. They have worked very hard to save for this adoption and have been able to basically fund it themselves. Now as the paperwork is almost completed and the time nears, we hope early 2014, to bring Harrison home, they are facing a deficit of funds. If any of you are familiar with international adoptions, you know how expensive they are. Not included in what they were required to pay is airfare for 2 to China and for 3 from China, as well as the expense of remaining in that country for 3 weeks. This amount is what they are now working on.

Some may ask why adopt internationally and not locally. That is something I believe God puts in the hearts of those who adopt. Just as God has a particular child intended for birth parents, He also has a particular child for adoptive parents. Thus far, God has shown us all that Harrison is a part of our family.

I can tell you that our family is not use to asking for help. My husband was a proud man, a generous one to those in need, but one who did not want or expect things given to him. My son is very much his father's son. However, pride aside for the sake of a child, we are asking for help in raising travel/temporary resident funds. I am attaching a secure sight where anyone who can and would like to can view pictures of Harrison and if you are able and feel led to do so, donate to this fund. Please share the link with your friends to help us reach as many people as possible. Your generosity will be so appreciated and you will be blessed for your sacrifice.      http://www.gofundme.com/59qyfc

This is quite a turn from my normal blog posts, but this is what God has given me today to share. My husband went home to be with the Lord on 3/24/2012. He loved children & would have loved to have Harrison ride around with him in his old truck. But I know he is looking down at that little boy and telling everyone in heaven, "That's my grandson!"

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your wonderful words and thank you for opening your heart to Harrison. You will be a wonderful grandmother and Harrison will be lucky to have you. It is so hard to imagine him here with us. He is my son even though I have never met him. He has changed my whole life even though I have never held him. His laughter fills my heart even though I have never heard it. Everyday that we wait for him is painful. Your support has made this time bearable and has meant so much to us. We love you, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love yall, too. And that was beautiful!

      Delete